Head for Analytics

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Letters - 13 / 15 Dear Ex Best Friend

Letters - 13 / 15 Dear Ex Best Friend

Dear ex-best friend,

I have never explained out loud why we had our falling out. But I know keenly why.

It is because you disavowed our friendship in order to find social position. I remember it exactly. Because there was someone else, a peer, you wished to impress. So you callously threw years of our friendship away. For someone who was white. For someone who was interesting, and advantaged. For someone you admired, instead of someone you already enjoyed the trust of...me.



We were young. I remember it well. I remember your exact words, the look of confusion from everyone around. You were misremembering. Others even tried to correct you. But you stuck to it. You lied. You lied to them. You lied to me.

I have even seen you since, we chatted once or twice in passing, a few words here, a handshake there. A non-commital airing of wanting to catch up over coffee. We do not. We have not.

We will never be friends again.

That was your choice.

And mine as well. I accept that.

You probably don’t even remember.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be screened for content.