Head for Analytics

Monday, April 15, 2013

Thoughts - On Attractiveness

Thoughts - On Attractiveness

RsonW wrote this, a simple contemplation on attractiveness, and gendered stereotypes.




You've likely been told you're beautiful, hot, etc. by men and boys from a young age. You've seen men and boys blatantly check out your body from a young age. Men way too old to be looking at you that way saying things they shouldn't be saying. And while the media bombards you with the message that unless you're a 5'10", 115 pound waif, you're fat; unless you wear Maybellene, you're ugly; men will tell you and show you that you are, in fact, attractive. It's been going on so long that it's just annoying now, but it happens.

Now, imagine if no man ever looked at you your whole life. No man ever told you how pretty you look today. You can count on one hand how many times a man has looked at you or complimented you in that way. But, dig this, the media's still telling you you're unattractive. The difference now is that you have constant reinforcement that they're right, they're absolutely right. No man truly finds you attractive, your boyfriends and lovers just told you you are because that's what they're supposed to do.

That's what being a man is like. Women don't tell us we're attractive out of the blue. Women don't stare at us. And the media tells us that without P90X we'll forever remain unattractive. And we don't receive any contrary experiences. Girlfriends and lovers tell us we're attractive because that's what we want to hear, not because it's true.


Another poster offers a follow-up thought:

I had a real problem with this in my last relationship. I know I'm a good looking guy, and I know I'm in shape and dress myself fairly well. Despite that I never, unless I really got dressed up, heard any compliments from my girlfriend. Even then it always involved what I was wearing.

As the relationship died and our sex life did as well it became hard not to wonder if she found me lacking some way physically. Was I not thin enough? Muscular enough? Too muscular? She had never in all the years we dated seemed to want to compliment me in that way, and it really messed with my self esteem. I tried to always be generous but honest with my compliments. The lack of reciprocation really hurt and made it harder when we broke up because all I could wonder was, "Is she disgusted by me?"

2 comments:

  1. Chad, I have no idea who you are but judging from your near blank profile that was used to like two MMA videos I'm going to assume you're a knob jockey. That's ok, being an insecure little bitch that has to comment on other peoples blogs has been a long standing profession on the internet you follow many peoples footsteps, but you are very specific in this case and it's obviously bugging you in a personal way. Are you hurt by the way he is presenting himself on the internet or are you hurt because even with these faults you place on him, you yourself are in a far worse place? Is his existence such an insult to yours that him living his own live offends you? Look in the mirror you pathetic excuse for a human being - I would soon rather have someone asking questions and coming off as pretentious than someone too afraid to put their real name to a list of slurs. You're afraid of a real retort, and to be honest, even if you weren't, why should anyone bother? You're the one feeling anger and hate, you're the one that NEEDED to post insults to make YOURSELF feel better. I feel sorry for you bro, you got some issues. Maybe watch some more MMA, get out some of that pent up aggression and realize it isn't going to get you anywhere.

    P.S. Do you even lift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you wrote kid after yes I do lift to hide your insecurities on that statement. It's cool bro, sometimes you can't lift, it happens to man of your closeted status. You were pretty graphic there on something you claim to have no experience of, it's ok - it's not a sin to have those feelings, you don't need to lash out at random people on the internet from your hidden homosexuality, there are people who can help.

    I Assumed Chad Tucker was fake as you had no internet presence aside from a random Fox News correspondent, so I apologize for mistaking it for a fake account, and if you are Chad Tucker from Fox News I doubly apologize for your day job.

    As for your initial post, I think if you'll notice the original link, it wasn't even Ravynn who posted the paragraph that you assumed was him and began to harass over.

    (Original link here btw: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/103pxb/do_women_check_out_men/c6aif9j )

    So your initial comment in the first place was a lashing out against this blogger on something he didn't even said. Dude if you're gonna flame at least make sure you're flaming the right person. I mean I know you're new to flaming but like we discussed you can get help. Best of luck, I don't wanna make you mad bro, it's bad for your health.

    ReplyDelete

Comments may be screened for content.